A rosy boa is a type of snake native to Mexico and Southwestern United States. These boas (rosies) are colored with red-tinted stripes lengthwise down their bodies, though each one has its own unique patterns of stripes and variations of color. For those wanting reptiles that live a long time, rosies are a great idea.
Are Rosy Boas Good Pets?
Rosies are good pets because they are small, easy to handle and very docile. They are much less aggressive than other reptiles. Rosy boas bred as pets are even more docile than those from the wild—which it should be noted—are illegal to capture and keep.
Rosies can be handled with open hands that support their full weight and they are safe for children to hold. Rosy boas are explorers that love wandering throughout a house or room, so it’s a good idea to keep doors closed when they aren’t in their cage. Other than the entertainment they bring with their curious wandering, they love to curl up in a ball and cuddle in small spaces—like pockets.
Are Rosy Boas Good for Beginner Pet Owners?
Boas are great pets for beginning and long-time reptile owners. They have easy-to-handle temperaments and schedules, though they do require more supplies than compared to other types of pets, which include:
- An enclosure, such as a glass terrarium of about 30 gallons or more
- Substrate at the bottom of the enclosure, which can be as simple as shredded newspapers or towels or natural bedding bought from a pet store
- A heating mat and lamp to create a ”hot side” of their enclosure
- A hideaway area on the ”cool side” of their enclosure for sleeping
- Thermometers and humidity gages to monitor both the hot and cool sides of their enclosure, as well as to ensure the enclosure does not exceed 40% humidity
- Frozen rodents or prey items to feed once a week; items can be bought from pet stores and thawed only when needed
How Long do Rosy Boas Live?
Rosies live extremely long lives and their lifespan averages around 30 years. Some pet boas have been reported to live up to 50 years. So, while they are great pets and good for beginners, it’s important to keep their lengthy lifespans in mind before bringing one home.
Rosy boas are amazing beginner pets that are very easy to take care of. As long as pet owners have the right supplies and environment, they can keep them as happy companions for many years.